About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. (2011)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
00:59:59

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 50002

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

America 14, Sarah Palin 12, Us 10, Norway 10, Michigan 8, Joe Mcginniss 5, Alaska 4, New York 4, United States 4, Glenn Beck 2, Arnold Schwarzenegger 2, Clinton 2, Ron Suskind 2, Toyota 2, Chrysler 2, At&t Network 2, Gene Sperling 2, Mr. Sperling 2, Carl 2, Piers 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business.  (2011)  

    September 19, 2011
    6:00 - 7:00pm PDT  

6:00pm
tonight, what happens when a shoot from the hip writer meets the biggest maverick of her time? for joe mcginniss, he said pretty nasty things about sarah palin, cheating, drug use, he even says she's a bad mother. who's the real rogue here? has joe mcginniss gone too far? is this any way to start a class war? >> i reject the idea that asking a hung fund manager to pay the same tax rate as a teacher is class warfare. it's just the right thing to do. >> can his plan work? the president's top advisers. and i'll ask the former governor of michigan how to get people back to work. and a prime minister speaks out about the terror attacks that shocked the world. this is "piers morgan tonight." today president obama billed a 3
6:01pm
trillionplan to cut the deficit. reduce spending in iraq and afghanistan and higher taxes on the wealthiest american. republican leaders promptly dismissed it calling the plan class warfare. does the president's plan have a chance? joining me is gene sperling director of the national economic council. thank you for joining me. the president announced today he'll go after the rich. the republicans say that is a form of class warfare. the president says it's math. but the reality is it is class warfare. the rich are a class and he's going after them. >> it's the opposite. the president is asking for balance, for shared sacrifice. he's asking for everybody to contribute and getting our long-term deficit down. he wants a plan that will be strong and powerful. the american jobs act. but we come to fiscal discipline, we all have to be in this together. when the president put out as a principle that those who make over a million or 10 million
6:02pm
shouldn't be paying lower taxes than middle class teachers, firemen, construction workers, some said class warfare, but i'm a little puzzled. how can it be class warfare when you're just trying to ensure that there's greater parity between those in the middle class and those who make over 10 or 50 million? the top 400 highest 400 earners in the united states who average over $110 million paid an effective rate of 18%. that's a lot lower than a lot of people who are out there busting their chops every day trying to support a family. >> but there's a sense of, you know, stealing from the rich and all the rest of it and these people, many of them have got what they have through hard work and success and achievement. it is almost a tax, many argue, on success. how does the white house counter that argument? >> i just don't think there's anything to that. as the president said, this is a country where we want to see more millionaires. we want to see people have those
6:03pm
opportunities, but those opportunities don't come in a vacuum. they come because generations before us have invested in our country and in our potential and our infrastructure and our intellectual property system and our education system. so those who do most well off in a sense pay it forward. they try to pay it forward so we can bring our deficit down and make sure that we can invest in the innovation and future of our country. >> if the republicans, as seems likely from their immediate reaction, just say, sorry, no chance, what then? what's plan b? >> i just want to remind that you the public overwhelmingly thinks a long-term deficit reduction plan should have a combination of spending restraint with asking the most well off and largest companies to pay a bit more -- >> but mr. sperling, as you know. >> hold it, hold it. >> but as you know, what the public think doesn't really matter when it comes to what the republicans do. so i repeat, what are you going to do if, as seems likely, the
6:04pm
republicans say sorry, no? >> i will remind that you the speaker of the house did for a period of several weeks negotiate with this president and did express a willing tons have 800 billion in additional revenues as part of a package. there are senate republicans who are part of the gang of six who are willing to be part of a balanced plan of spending constraint and higher revenues on the most well off. so i do believe that this compromise is possible, and if there is gridlock, it is not -- the blame should not be evenly shared. it should go to those who refuse to compromise, who say my way or the highway. >> finally ron suskind's book is to be released. it apparently gives a scathing look at the obama presidency. the economic crisis began with the hiring of larry summers and timothy geithner. he said the actions of both men, and i quote, have contributed to the very financial disaster they were hired to solve.
6:05pm
what is the white house reaction to ha? >> let me tell you what my reaction is. i've been here since day one. i want to say unequivocally the premise of ron suskind's book is dead wrong. dead wrong. what i saw firsthand was this president facing the worst financial and economic crisis since fdr had to deal with the great depression. and i saw him at times where in the most difficult issues, whether we should do stress tests for our banks, whether we should save chrysler, deal with these issues where his economic advisers were often split, providing different choices to him. and i saw the president sit in the roosevelt room for hours asking penetrating questions. then he made the difficult call. and on things like the financial rescue, on things like saving chrysler, he knew at the time they were politically difficult, but he did so because they were the right thing for our economy. and virtually everybody now looks back at those decisions
6:06pm
and recognizes that they were the right things to do. so the notion that this president was not leading and making the tough choices all along is just dead wrong, and i say that from somebody who has been here every moment, who was here through all eight years of the clinton administration. this president has been as focused and tough and decisive in leading us and in economic team, and i think that is the real story. and anything else really does a disservice to this administration and the real record that has been established. >> the president looked pretty fired up today, mr. sperling. i mean, very quickly, has he got his gander back again? do you think he's up and running for the forthcoming election battle? >> if you're someone like me meeting with him every day, you don't feel like he's ever lost it. i mean, there are times when if you want to do what's right for your country, you have to try to strike compromises. you have to try to take the
6:07pm
temperature down and work and try to reach the grand compromise and the grand bargain. that's part of governing, part of being responsible. but he's never lost his fundamental view that led him to run for president in the first place, which is we have an economy that has not been working for middle class families for a long time, even before this deep financial crisis. and he is here not only to help dig us out but to chart a new course where we're seeing shared prosperity again, and not the middle class feeling like they're getting left behind because our economy is serving and our government and our politics are serving the special interests and those who are most well connected. and what you saw him doing today is what he has always been doing, fighting for what's best for our economy. i think that was a balanced plan that really asked for a sacrifice and tough choices from everyone, leaving no one out. >> gene sperling, thank you very
6:08pm
much. >> thank you. joining me now is jennifer granholm, the former governor of michigan and the author of "a governor's story." very timely title. you don't mind me saying, governor. whichever way you skin this cat, it is a form of class warfare, isn't it? president obama has today delighted his democratic base by saying, right, we're going to do robin hood taxation. we're going to whack the rich and give it to the poor. >> in effect, those who haven't been paying the beneficial rates have been subsidizing the. youer class. if you're not having fair rates, you come to michigan and tell people who make $200 million a year pay a lot less in taxes as a percentage of their income, that's not fair. the question is what's fair and where is the money going? is the money going to invest in america and create jobs for people? and that's what this is all about. how do you cut where you can in order to invest whethre you mus >> you are the perfect person to ask this. you heard gene sperling talking
6:09pm
about what happened in michigan in detroit with the car industry. big bold moves by the president and they seem to have paid off. why can he not replicate that on to a wider stage in america and what should he be doing? >> exactly what we should be doing across america is to have an active, strategic government that is intervening in the economy, not a big government, but to help create jobs in america. you know that our economic competitors, all of those countries out there who don't care about laissez-faire, trickle-down economics, they are actively intervening to create jobs for their citizens. the world has changed since before the turn of the century when we used to bow to the altar of trickle down. that is no longer the playing field that we are on. >> reading your book, it seemed to me one of the key things that you say is the problem is just the loss of manufacturing in america. i mean, i couldn't believe the statistic. since 2001, 42,000 factories have shut in america. that's amazing.
6:10pm
>> one-third of all manufacturing jobs have been lost since the beginning of this decade. why? because of the type of jobs they are and the fact that other countries can lure them much more cheaply. the question is how do you keep those kind of jobs or get advanced manufacturing jobs in america? >> how complicit are american companies in allowing countries like china to take those jobs? >> this is a really important question because companies aren't going to be loyal to a particular country. they're going to be loyal to their shareholders. where can they maximize shareholder return. that's why the united states has to get real about that being the number one fiduciary responsibility of companies. we have to make a competitive playing field for them to choose to come to america. when i say that, i'm not talking about a race to the bottom where we're slashing wages and taxes, i'm talking about a partnership with business so they can choose to come here like with these other countries. a quick story about china. i was in china in march, they've
6:11pm
done an unbelievable job of getting manufacturing jobs to come from the united states. they were boasting about how well he had done in particularly the clean energy economy. the people we were meeting with were chinese officials. one pulled me aside and said when do you think the united states is going to get a national energy policy. i don't know. we've got the tea party and the congress. this is what he did. he said take your time and was happy as could be. our passivity is their opportunity. and every single day these companies are making decisions about where to locate. so if we don't have -- i mean, we could have a jobs race to the top. we should be partnering, offering as much as we can in terms of training and intellectual capital. >> are you encouraged by president obama's demeanor today? >> yes, i am. >> do you get a sense that he's had enough. >> he's rolling up -- come on. >> and rolling over to these republicans, he's now saying, i'm going to do what i want to
6:12pm
do. it's about time. is he now doing this? >> it's totally great. but you know what? he had to take the steps before this time to demonstrate that he was the adult in the room. he put on the table proposals that republicans had not just supported but proposed. when you can say they're saying no just because of the person making the proposal, i.e., the president. on cnn they were having the debate, would you take ten dollars in cut for one dollar in revenue, not a single one would take it, it demonstrates how unreasonable they are. take it to the people. take it to their districts. be strong about it because the people are on his side. >> does he actually have the power? here's the key thing that people say to me. it's all very well, the president beating his chest now coming out fighting. i'm standing up to these tea party people, i'm going to stand up against the republicans, all of it. can he actually do it? can he challenge the convention of modern washington politics.
6:13pm
>> the way you do it, one, is you take it to their district. and if they don't listen to the people that hired them, the people are hiring these politicians and they can fire them. that's what he's got to say. you hire them, you can fire them. if you think they're not representing you or acting in america's best interests, if their policies are actually facilitating the offshoring of jobs, when you think about tax cuts and smaller government, can you just -- michigan, as a state, we cut more out of government than any state in the country in this past decade. our corporate tax burden dropped faster than any other state in the country. >> you also had rising unemployment throu unemployment throughout that period. >> i was thinking it would work because that's what all the economists used to say. it didn't work. what did work was we were able to partner with the federal government. saving the auto industry and yes and investing in battery technology, clean energy technology and that investment
6:14pm
aloud michigan's unemployment rate to drop six times faster than the national rate. in 2010 gallup said that michigan's job improvement was the best of all of the states in 2010. the difference was we tried all of those other things. they weren't working in this new world. the investment was what worked. >> take that thought, hold it for a moment. we'll come back after the break. we want to know how can president obama avoid losing next year in the election. because at the moment that's the way it's headed. [ male announcer ] this...is the network. a living, breathing intelligence that is helping business rethink how to do business. in here, inventory can be taught to learn. ♪ in here, machines have a voice... ♪ [ male announcer ] in here, medical history follows you... even when you're away from home.
6:15pm
it's the at&t network -- a network of possibilities, creating and integrating solutions, helping business, and the world...work. rethink possible. accept it. you can't change the way banking works. just accept it, man. free ? doesn't close at five ? try nature. you give them all your money, and they put you on hold. just accept it. what are you going to do, bury your money in the backyard ? accept it. just stay with the herd, son. accept it. it's only money. it's a bank. what do you want, a hug ? just accept it, friend. hidden fees, fine print, or they'll stick it to you some other way. smile and accept it. it's been this way since pants. accept it... just accept it. accept it. i'm a doctor. just accept it. accept it... accept it. just accept it ! if we miss this movie, you're dead.
6:16pm
if you're stuck accepting banking nonsense, you need an ally. ally bank. no nonsense. just people sense.
6:17pm
governor, president obama at the moment, we're looking at 39% approval rating, 9.1% unemployment rate. it's not looking good, is it? how is he going to pull this back for the election next year? >> election is always about a choice. everybody says that. he's going to have a specific opponent. and i look at this similarly. if you look at the laboratories of democracy, which michigan is
6:18pm
one of them. i was in virtually the exact same thing. my re-election in 2006 when michigan had the highest unemployment rate in the nation, we were losing all of these manufacturing jobs. i was running against a wealthy, very conservative opponent. i was under water in my approval ratings and i ultimately ended up winning by the largest -- >> how did you turn things around? >> because it was all about a choice. when you ask people in the abstract, people are unhappy and psychologically they want to move from where they are. but when presented with a choice and see where they move to might put them in deeper doodoo -- the technical term, then they don't move. >> president clinton's point, at the moment, it's just president obama against angry people. >> right. >> the moment it becomes him against a definable face of the other side, then the people may be less angry to him and more about, whoa, we can't go there. if you were him, who would you
6:19pm
most like to face next year? who would you least like to face? >> i think that he has a good case -- well, i mean, for example, governor perry, he'll have a tough time, for example in, you know, the northeast in the upper midwest. and i think he and romney both are supporting policies that are, as my daughter would say, so 20th century. that those are not the policies that will keep and create jobs in the united states. >> what if unemployment figures, despite everything the president's currently trying to do, actually go up between now and next november? >> he's got an argument against the republicans. they won't let me invest in creating jobs for american teachers and american road builders and american firefighters and the private sector. i've got tax credits that he can say that are going to reward companies for creating jobs in america. what they want to do is give broad tax cuts to corporations who can choose to take that money, it's fun jible, they can
6:20pm
move it oversea. his job plan creates jobs here rather than giving money to invest somewhere else. >> former vice president cheney mischievously that maybe hillary clinton could come along to save the democrats from innone imyus defeat. >> she said the chances of that are less than zero. >> that's confirmation. it wasn't a denial. if you say less than zero. it is not a no, is it? it's a carefully phrased nondenial. everything changed. i went from minus 3 to positive -- >> this is a guy who really wants to create a fight. i think she's made it abundantly clear. you don't run against the person who anointed you. she'll be a loyal team player. i hope other democrats will be loyal team players and our democrats do need to get in line. >> talking about loyal team players, i couldn't let you go without reminding you of this glorious tweet that you personally wrote after arnold schwarzenegger -- >> what are you pulling out?
6:21pm
>> when arnold schwarzenegger was caught with his trousers down with the nanny. you tweeted the following. another guy governor admits to cheating on his wife. maybe we should have more women governors. guys, keep your pants zipped, for pete's sake. >> and? it's another technical term. >> obviously implying that only female governors can keep their pants on. >> i'm just saying the temptations for female governors are probably not as great as for men. >> what? you don't have any good offers? >> i don't have any staffers coming and putting notes in my pocket. >> in the whole time you were govern governor. >> you know what the deal is, women in power are much less attractive to men than men in power are attractive to women. >> do you think so? >> i think so. >> is it because you're more terrifying? >> i think that male power and sex go together but women power, it's -- doesn't have the same ring. >> you sound almost
6:22pm
disappointed. >> not at all. i'm happily married and grateful i don't have that issue to deal with. >> do you think obama's going to win? >> yes, i do. >> any doubts? do any democrats at the moment have a doubt? >> i wrote this book because i have been there. every day i feel like i watch this unfolding. deja vu. exactly what unfolded in our situation. i feel like if he's got the right script and the great team around him, he's going to win. >> thanks for coming on. thank you very much indeed. >> very good to be on. thank you, piers. sarah palin's least favorite human being on earth. joe mcginniss. ♪ sent her back to college for her sophomore year ♪ ♪ co-signed her credit card -- "buy books, not beer!" ♪ but the second that she shut the door ♪ ♪ girl started blowing up their credit score ♪ ♪ she bought a pizza party for her whole dorm floor ♪ ♪ hundred pounds of makeup at the makeup store ♪ ♪ and a ticket down to spring break in mexico ♪
6:23pm
♪ but her folks didn't know 'cause her folks didn't go ♪ ♪ to free-credit-score-dot-com hard times for daddy and mom. ♪ offer applies with enrollment in freecreditscore.com™. the world needs more energy. where's it going to come from? ♪ that's why right here, in australia, chevron is building one of the biggest natural gas projects in the world. enough power for a city the size of singapore for 50 years. what's it going to do to the planet?
6:24pm
natural gas is the cleanest conventional fuel there is. we've got to be smart about this. it's a smart way to go. ♪ ittoi switched to a complete0, multivitamin with more. only one a day women's 50+ advantage has ginkgo for memory and concentration, plus support for bone and breast health. a great addition to my routine. [ female announcer ] one a day women's. what's vanishing deductible all about ? guys, it's demonstration time. let's blow carl's mind. okay, let's say i'm your insurance deductible. every year you don't have an accident, $100 vanishes. the next year, another $100. where am i going, carl ? the next year... that was weird. but awesome ! ♪ nationwide is on your side
6:25pm
6:26pm
my next guest is certainly sarah palin's least favorite current person. he's joe mcginniss who wrote the book "the rogue, searching for the real sarah palin." he joins me now. welcome. >> thank you, piers. >> are you taken aback by the reaction to your tome? >> the book doesn't publish till tomorrow. most of the reaction is coming from people who haven't read it. they've read one review and are pontificating from that. >> do you like sarah palin?
6:27pm
>> i've never met the woman. whether i like her or not is not the point, the point is how far she's gotten in american politics on the strength of an image and persona that are entirely false. >> you're a very distinguished writer, you've written some terrific books over the years. and you're a respected, reputable journalist. the criticisms against you are on this occasion you sort of dipped into the tabloid mire a little too much. that the sourcing is not on the record -- >> that's interesting because if you actually -- this is what happens when t"the national enquirer" steals a copy of your book ahead of time and reads through it and finds four or five supposedly salacious details and trumpets them all over their own tabloid. >> to be fair, they're not really supposedly salacious. >> it depends on your definition of salacious. >> let me trot a couple out here and you can respond to the allegation of salaciousness. one is she had a one-night stand with a black basketball player
6:28pm
despite being apparently racist. then we have her snorting cocaine off a barrel while snowboarding. and so on. these are fairly salacious details. >> i don't know. she was an unmarried woman. the point of the story about her encounter where the basketball player was that i had heard over and over again that one reason for her racism was that she had an event in her young adulthood where she had a sexual encounter with a black man and that afterward she freaked out about it. she became hysterical. she was horrified with herself because of being racist, that she had actually had sex with a black man. i didn't want to put that story in the book until i could talk to the man involved. and because it was 23 years ago, it was no easy task to track down -- >> i mean, you ring him up, on the phone, the encounter. >> we talked on the phone. >> a bit of an old tabloid trick. it's the old are you gay, when they say no, it's i'm denying
6:29pm
being gay. >> no, no, no. it's not a bit. you're wrong about that. the question i asked him was the only question i was interested in. afterward, did she have a bad reaction, did she freak out, was this something that upset her. and he said no, not at all. >> you say after you had sex with sarah palin, did she freak out. he's thinks about the racism part when actually you slipped in the sex part. >> there's nothing to slip in. >> i commend the work. >> there was nothing to slip in. let's not go there. >> that's another question altogether. >> i talked to glenn yesterday. >> glenn rice, the basketball player. >> he said, i read that part. that's good, that's all good. that's just what we talked about, that's just how it was. it is actually a sweet little story. he really liked her. that's the charming part of the story. he said i had kind of a crush on sarah palin. there was nothing tauwdry about this.
6:30pm
and the stories about her freaking out and her demonstration of racism, that's not true. he only had good things to say about her. >> todd palin had this to say. this is man who has been relentlessly stalking my family to the point of moving in right next door to harass and spy on us to satisfy his creepy obsession with my wife. his book is full of disgusting lies, innuendo and smears. even "the new york times" called this book dated, petty, and it chases caustic unsubstantiated gossip. >> well, he's wrong. >> you would say that, wouldn't you? >> of course, really, he cannot -- i mean, todd seriously can't believe i have an obsession with his wife. believe me, i'm so sick of sarah palin right now that after this couple of weeks is over, i hope to never hear her name again. i was never obsessed with sarah palin. i went out to write a new book about alaska. she happened to be governor, john mccain happened to pick her as a vice presidential candidate, that made her
6:31pm
synonymous with alaska. my book about alaska because of events became a book about sarah palin. >> part of the family's complaint is that you rented a property right next to theirs for months to do the book, and that you were kind of peering over the garden fence. that's a bit creepy, isn't it? >> to be peering over the fence? that would have been horribly creepy. >> you never had a sneaky look? >> i never had any kind of a look. >> why did you want to be next to them? >> the house was give on the me, offered to me. i auto could look at the same view of lake lucille that she had -- >> let me ask you. >> no, the people who were peering at all all last summer were the people paying her money from discovery channel so she could film her family's moments for a tv show. >> are you telling me for months on end having rented the house next to the palin family, you never once looked at the house, you were looking at a lake? >> i looked at the house above the fence if i'm facing in that
6:32pm
direction, but i had no interest in what was going on on the other side. and i told todd, by the way, in the book, you see todd comes over to say, what are you doing here? now do we have to worry about you spying on us? >> no. as long as i'm here that's the one thing you don't have to worry about because i'm not that kind of person. i gave him a blanket guarantee. i said i'll never put in my book or pass on to anyone else verbally anything that i might happen accidentally to observe or overhear from your side of the fence. so your privacy is totally protect protecteded. i promise you i'll put nothing about your side of the fence in my book. it was a nonissue from the start. >> given the significance and the possible damaging significance of the cocaine revelation, that is not sourced to anybody on the record. i mean, do you regret, given the furor that kind of material that has caused? >> the palins have intimidated
6:33pm
so many people for so long in the wasilla area, that it's very hard to find people willing to talk about them even in inconsequential ways on the record. they scare people. they threaten people. even since the book has come out, i've gotten contacted by two of my named sources in the book who said they're now being told they better watch their backs. >> were you threatened? >> last summer threatened over and over and over again. >> by who? >> who got my e-mail address from a right wing radio talk show host. >> anybody connected to the palins? >> nobody directly. by sauer ray incited that with the lies she put on her facebook page and the lies she told to glenn beck about me. she did everything she could to incite hatred against me and she suck saided. i got hundreds if not thousands of threatening e-mails. people threatening my wife and my grandchildren. >> any death threats? >> many death threats. >> against you? >> yes. the wasilla police department was keeping a close watch on my
6:34pm
house. and the alaska state police were keeping a close watch on my house because they took those threats very seriously. and this was before representative giffords was actually shot by a deranged person. the palins marched right up to the border of inciting violence, then stop there and stand back and say, we had nothing to do with it, if anything happens. >> let's take a break and talk about whether you think she'll actually run for president and if she is, why america shouldn't vote for her, which i believe is your position. sort of guessing. [ beeping ]
6:35pm
♪ hush, little baby ♪ don't you cry ♪ soon the sun ♪ is going to shine ♪
6:36pm
[ male announcer ] toyota presents the prius family. ♪ walk if i want, talk if i want ♪ [ male announcer ] there's the original one... the bigger one... the smaller one... and the one that plugs in. they're all a little different, just like us.
6:37pm
6:38pm
he's a voyeur. the only reason why he moved there is to be either a peeping tom and watch your family over the fence or, b, watch the comings and goings of your family. this is talking and harassment. >> sarah palin and glenn beck. clearly not a fan of my guest joe mcginniss. he's written "rogue searching for the real sar ray paulen". >> that's outrageous. that's irresponsible. he doesn't know what he's talking about, but he's using the language to describe me that has nothing to do with the reality. he's accusing me of crimes, stalking is a crime. he has no right to do that. >> i suppose his point is i
6:39pm
can't think of a single high profile author ever who has rented a house next to their subject for months on end. it's a bit weird, isn't it? >> i think it's pretty wonderful. >> well, you would. you're the one who did it. it is a bit weird. >> i don't think it's weird. it would have been weird if i had said no. the lady calls -- i was about to sign a lease on an apartment in anchorage. 6:00 on a thursday night in may. i get a call from a woman i don't know at 3:00 that afternoon. she says i have a house in wasilla -- >> i know the story. but you didn't have to take it. >> i would have been crazy not to. that would have been journalistic malpractice. >> you call this "the rogue" and inside there's a wbster's revised unabrjed dictionary definition of rogue. an elephant that breaks away from the herd and roams around and is very savage. you describe sarah palin a clown, a nitwit, a rabid wolf, a lap dancer, a bad mother, a drug
6:40pm
abuser, a sex cheat, a bulimic and a religious nut case. >> i don't think i used the word bulimic. >> right. other than that, the rest of it's all -- >> i didn't use the word sex cheat. don't attribute to me words i didn't write. >> you accused her of cheating in a sexual way. >> i mentioned that "the national enquirer" had printed a story about an alleged affair she had. >> do you think she had the affair? >> i have no idea except as i read it in "the national enquirer." >> let me ask you, as a prestigious journalist do you willy-nilly repeat "national enquirer" scoops even if you can't substantiate them? >> no, but i substantiated this. >> so it is true? >> i substantiated it by talking to many, many people. >> so it is true? >> it is true. >> she had a sex cheat. >> she had an affair. >> is that a sex cheat? >> that's your terminology. >> she cheated sexually. >> if you want to say that. >> i don't want to say that. you say that in the book. >> i said she had an affair. this is like monty python.
6:41pm
>> you substantiated the affair, but that doesn't make her a sex cheat. >> well, that's not language that i use. >> i see. she had an affair. you said she had eating disorders. >> no. >> you allude to them. >> no. i describe one incident where she came in after binging and went into the bathroom with her knuckles red an eyes popping. >> what was the inflens you wanted to make. >> an inference anyone been draw. >> what was the inference in the book? >> i'm not asking anyone to draw any particular inference. >> of course you are. >> no, i'm not. >> you want us to draw the inference that she had an eating disorder. >> i want to report -- >> that she crawled out of that toilet with her knuckles raw from having been vomiting in the loo. >> you're a good writer, much more colorful than i am. >> in simple language you feel comfortable, what was the inference you were trying to make and draw from the anecdote? >> i wasn't trying to make
6:42pm
anyone draw any inference. i found it an interesting fact because many other people suggested that she has an eating disorder. i didn't find any evidence of it other than one anecdote that i found verifiable that explain that sarah is sometimes strange about food. it is not an area that i pursued because it wasn't an area i was interested in. >> it is published in the book so it is being picked up. you did pursue it. >> i pursued it to the point that i wrote it. >> do you think she'll run as president? >> no, i don't. i could be wrong. i mean -- >> you still hope she does for book sales, right? >> at this point i'm not sure it matters. >> got to go. thank you very much indeed. the prime minister of norway on his narrow escape from a brutal ter ter attack. eur from a mile away... while going shoeless and metal-free in seconds. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle...and go.
6:43pm
you can even take a full-size or above, and still pay the mid-size price. now this...will work. [ male announcer ] just like you, business pro. just like you. go national. go like a pro. that when you live in the fast lane, you need a mortgage lender who's just as fast and responsive. [ rob ] hi, i'm rob jones, and i'm a professional race car driver. as a former fighter pilot, i like the fact that quicken loans offers va loans. i worked with a real person while doing everything online. it was the best of both worlds. their rates and fees were low, and their crew kept me updated through every step of the process. quicken loans is a lot like me -- we're both engineered to amaze. are you prepared for your retirement years -rge. 25 or more of them? do you have a financial plan for you family that works, in good times and in bad times? having the right perspective can help you answer the big questions.
6:44pm
for more than 140 years, pacific life has helped find answers for those navigating the path to financial security. ask a financial professional about pacific life - the power to help you succeed.
6:45pm
the crib is already there. great. thank you so much. [ male announcer ] we provide great service, so you can stay you. holiday inn express. stay you. [ tv announcer ] today's trivia question -- what's the hardest play in baseball? the unassisted triple play. the unassisted triple play. [ male announcer ] stay smart and book smart. book early and save up to 20% at any holiday inn express. stay you. ♪
6:46pm
the man who admits he killed 77 people in a brutal terror attack in norway this summer was back in court today. anders breivik confirmed a form of torture. but the judge ruled he'll remain there for another month. joining me norway's prime minister jens stoltenberg. my sincere condolences to you and your people. have you been able to get your head around what happened, to understand why it happened? >> not fully. i think no one can really understand what happened the 22nd of july in norway. we have been prepared for terrorist attacks, but to see one man do so much harm to so many people is more than i think anyone could imagine. >> take me back to that terrible day. where were you when you first heard of the first attack, which is, obviously, the explosion in the center near your office.
6:47pm
>> i was in my office in the house where i live, which is not the office where i usually work. the prime minister's office. and i was actually sitting there preparing my speech in which i was going to deliver at the youth camp that was attacked on the island that was attacked later on. and then i was phoned by some people in my office, and they asked me if i was hurt. and i said, i didn't understand actually why they asked me because they were in the building and they were moving out of the building, out to the government building where i had my office. and then two of the people came to my house, and then i saw them. they had wounds on their heads and they had blood on their clothes. and that was actually when i understood the magnitude because these people were on the 16th floor. then i understand that people -- >> would you normally have been in yoo office that day? >> yes. because it was a working day. >> would you have been hurt, do
6:48pm
you know? >> i don't think so because i was in the -- my office is in the 16th and the 17th floor. as far as i know no one that high in the building were killed, but people were wounded. so of course it was a risk also so high in the building, but if i were on my way out, people on the ground floor, they were killed and lost their lives. >> obviously, it then got dramatically worse. the island that you were supposed to be going to a few hours later came ound this extraordinary assault with this man just indiscriminately murdering anybody he could find, many very young people. where did you hear about that and what was your reaction? >> i was phoned by some of the people that escaped the island, and i knew many of them. i was supposed to go there the day after. and i have spent every summer since 1974 on that island
6:49pm
because this is a big youth camp and i participate. i was leader of the youth organization back in the 1980s. and people phoned us and told us that the man was going around shooting. and again, it was hard to understand the magnitude and what was really going on. we were afraid it was more than one. and then, of course, the first estimates was it was ten people killed. but later on we were informed that it was much more. >> did you know any of the people who died? >> yes, i know several of the people who died. some of them i've known since the 1980s. and i know many of their parents, their relatives. they lost their loved ones. so for me this has been part of personal, emotional situation to live through. also then to combine it with being the prime minister and trying to convey my personal
6:50pm
feelings, comfort, condolences to those who have been harmed, but also to -- at the same time, be the prime minister of the country which has been attacked in such a brightal way. >> there have been two criticisms really about the authorities, i guess. one is, there was a delay in responding to what was happening on the island. how do you answer that? >> the main answer is that we are going to go through everything that happened. the response to the police, the health system, everything. there's a -- we have established a commission. and they're going to present the report in some months or a year from now. and i will be surprised if we -- after such a dramatic event do not find anything that could have been done in a better way. >> the other criticism, i guess, is that there were lots of pieces of evidence about this character from facebook and youtube videos and so on,
6:51pm
suggesting he was a pretty nasty piece of work who had malicious intent. was there a failing to not pick up on someone like him earlier? >> again, i think it will be wrong to jump to conclusions, so that's one of the issues which we certainly go through. the independent commission is going to go through. and the media -- i think that's good to have an open debate on how did our intelligence sources react to information they got beforehand. at the same time, i think we have to understand this is as far as you know a lonely wolf. the problem with detecting that kind of terrorism, there's no organization, there's no information. so it's hard to detect when it's only one man working by himself. >> what are your feelings toward the man that did this?
6:52pm
>> actually, i don't have feelings about him at all. i have concentrated myself, my feelings on those who lost their loved ones to give them care, sympathy and not so much my thinking and focus on that man. i lead him to the courts, to the judges to decide. and he will get the sentence he deserves. >> we're going to take a short break. when we come back, i want to talk to you about the u.n. you're here in new york for the big conference. specifically about president obama's announcement that his way of attacking the financial chris sis going to be by primarily going after the rich. [ male announcer ] this...is the network. a living, breathing intelligence that is helping business rethink how to do business.
6:53pm
in here, inventory can be taught to learn. ♪ in here, machines have a voice... ♪ [ male announcer ] in here, medical history follows you... even when you're away from home. it's the at&t network -- a network of possibilities, creating and integrating solutions, helping business, and the world...work. rethink possible. helping business, and the world...work. ♪ priceis it true thata-tor. name your own price.... >>...got even easier? affirmative. we'll show you other people's winning hotel bids. >>so i'll know how much to bid... ...and save up to 60% >>i'm in i know see winning hotel bids now at priceline. ♪ hush, little baby ♪ don't you cry ♪ soon the sun ♪ is going to shine ♪ [ male announcer ] toyota presents the prius family. ♪ walk if i want, talk if i want ♪ [ male announcer ] there's the original one... the bigger one... the smaller one...
6:54pm
and the one that plugs in. they're all a little different, just like us. they're all a little different, possibilities are everywhere. multiply them with the premier rewards gold card from american express. with triple membership rewards points on airfare, double on gas, double on groceries, and a single point on everthing else, it's a fast way to earn more every day. plus, you can earn 10,000 bonus points. and the annual fee the first year is on us. call 800.axp.gold to apply.
6:55pm
6:56pm
right now my guest the prime minister of norway. you're here in new york for the united nations general assembly. i want to talk to you about president obama, because he's come to new york today. it's obviously a big day for him and the assembly. he's chosen today to announce his attack now on the financial crisis in america. which is to tax the rich in a much heavier way. what is your reaction to that as a world leader? >> as prime minister of norway,
6:57pm
i fully understand it. compared to, perhaps norway, rich people pay much less taxes in the u.s. than in norway. >> what is the comparative taxation? >> in norway, the average tax on people earning more than 1 million will be around 50% or something. >> so significantly higher? >> yeah. >> so i understand that there has to be a balance. i think everyone understands there has to be a balance between income and expenditures. when you have a deficit, you need to reduce expenditures. at the same time, it may be a good idea to increase income. and those who have most, who most probably also contribute a bit more than they do today. >> how kenned are you about what's happening with the
6:58pm
european union. look at greece which is on the verge of defaulting potentially. there are other countries in precarious situations in the union. many in america are saying, what is happening to europe? >> what's your overview? >> i'm concerned, there are many reasons to be concerned because there is a dangerous trap in a way that many european economists have moved into. they have high unemployment, at the same time, they have low growth. normally the answer to that should be to increase public expenditures to stimulate growth. that's not possible because they have high debts. it's a serious situation, and we all have to support efforts by the imf and also by the european union to organize packages, economic assistance to help those countries who are really in deep trouble. >> you're making a speech about climate change, i'm sure as you're aware, many of the republican candidates for the
6:59pm
nomination to take on the president in the next election in america believe that climate change is an invention of mad scientists. how would you feel if one of them became president? >> i believe that it's dangerous to say that all those scientists were telling us that this is dangerous were wrong. we can never be certain, to wait until we are certain can be too late. i think it's a good approach to do something and to have some kind of assurance to be willing to pay an insurance premium to reduce the risk of really dangerous consequences of global warming. >> thank you very much indeed. >> thank you so much. >> the prime minister of norway, that's all for us tonight. "ac 360" starts right now. piers, thanks, it is 10:00 p.m. on the east coast, keeping them honest tonight. here we go again, the president and the